This is funny (of course it is, it’s from The Onion).
Peter Thiel, the founder of PayPal and an early investor in Facebook, is putting $1.25 million of his own money toward the creation of artificial libertarian island-nations. Here are some of the features the islands will include:
- Large monument paying tribute to Bob Barr and his heroic 0.4 percent of the popular vote in the 2008 presidential election
- Annual contest to see which island-dweller can best hijack a normal conversation with a tirade about the corrupt U.S. tax code
- Huge pile of free guns right in the middle of each island
- Canning operation free from restrictive boiling and acidity-regulation rules
- Penn and Teller, every Thursday night
- Large ceremonial nonfunctioning national debt clock that just reads “0”
- A swimmin’ hole
- Emergency blue-light phones that connect directly to the Cato Institute
- A bunch of Republicans anyway
- Occasional arbitrary tax on the population just to give them something to get riled up about, which, for many libertarians, is their sole reason for existing.